Grown ups

Queensland: services

Queensland: services

Have you just had a new baby?

Child and baby health clinics
The Queensland Government provides free health services, parenting information and support for families of children aged 0-12 years. This webpage tells you how to find your nearest drop-in service or clinic. There is also a Child Health Line staffed by child and family health nurses:

  • Phone: 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84)
  • Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week

Australian Breastfeeding Association - Breastfeeding helpline
If you're breastfeeding and need help, trained volunteer counsellors can give you reassurance, information and advice about breastfeeding and overcoming common hurdles to breastfeeding:

  • Phone: 1800 MUM 2 MUM (1800 686 268)
  • Hours: 24 hours, 7 days

Are you finding parenting harder than you thought?

This is a confidential telephone counselling service offering free professional counselling and support for parents and carers:

  • Phone: 1300 301 300 (cost of a local call)
  • Hours: 8 am-10 pm, 7 days a week

Triple P - Positive Parenting Program
This a parenting support program. It aims to prevent severe behaviour, emotional and development problems in children by enhancing parents' knowledge, skills and confidence.

Ellen Barron Family Centre
This is a residential centre that helps parents build practical skills and confidence. Families of children aged 0-3 years can be referred to the Centre, which is at the Prince Charles Hospital in Chermside, Brisbane:

  • Phone: (07) 3139 6500

Do you need to find care for your child?

There are four options for child care in Australia:

  • home-based care, which is having your child cared for by a friend, relative or nanny in your home
  • family day care with a small group of children in an approved carer's home
  • centre-based care, in a child care centre with trained staff and a structured program
  • occasional care, which is short-term, centre-based care.

Child care is mainly designed for children aged up to five years, but can also include before-school, after-school and holiday care for primary school-age children.

This Australian Government website has information about different types of child care and about government assistance to help with fees. You can search for child care services near you.

You can also get information from the Child Care Access Hotline:

  • Phone: 1800 670 305 (free call)
  • TTY: 133 677 then ask for 1800 670 305 (for hearing-impaired or speech-impaired callers)
  • Hours: 8 am-6 pm, Monday-Friday
You can read more in our articles on getting started with child care, child care types and child care costs and Australian Government assistance. You can also find out more about good-quality child care.

Do you want help finding playgroups?

Playgroups are a great way for small children to practise getting along with others and to try new ways to play. They're good for parents too, with lots of support and social contact in a relaxed, welcoming environment. For more information contact the Playgroup Association of Queensland:

  • Phone: 1800 171 882 (free call)

Is your child ready for kindergarten?

The Queensland Government provides kindergarten for children in the year before they go to school. Children who turn four on or before 30 June are eligible for 15 hours of kindergarten per week in that year. Children who turn four after 30 June will start kindergarten the following year. Kindergarten programs focus on learning and socialising skills to help prepare children for school.

You can find out more about approved kindergarten programs in Queensland.

Are things worrying you at home and you want someone to talk to?

Relationships Australia - Queensland
Relationships Australia offers counselling, education programs, mediation services and other help for families and couples:

  • Phone: 1300 364 277 (cost of a local call)
  • Hours: 8 am-8 pm, Monday-Friday; 10 am-4 pm, Saturday

Women's Infolink
This is a free and confidential information and referral service provided by the Queensland Government. It has information about community services and government agencies supporting women throughout Queensland. It can put you in touch with services in your area:

  • Phone: 1800 177 577 (free call)
  • Hours: 8 am-6 pm, Monday-Friday

Does someone in your family have special needs?

Queensland Government Disability Services
This government agency provides various services for people with disability, their families, carers and service providers:

  • Phone: 13 QGOV (137 468)
  • TTY: 133 677, then ask for 137 468 (for hearing-impaired and speech-impaired callers)

National Disability Insurance Scheme
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a national scheme to support people with permanent and significant disability. It's being introduced gradually throughout Australia and will replace the current disability support system. People living in parts of North Queensland can access the NDIS now. You can find out more about the NDIS in Queensland or contact the NDIS directly:

  • Phone: 1800 800 110
  • TTY: 1800 555 677 then ask for 1800 800 110
  • Hours: 8 am-11 pm, Monday-Friday
Find more links to child and parent disability services.

Are you looking for parenting services in your state?

Infoxchange Service Seeker
This is a directory of community services in Australia. Search for 'parenting' to find parenting support and other services in your area.

Find more links to parent and family services.